Hi enormously generous and thoughtful colleagues,

I am doing some research on what is popularly called "interest-based" bargaining (IBB). For those unfamiliar with the term, IBB is a process that is intended to be more collaborative than traditional bargaining. One common aspect of IBB, is the creation of various committees or teams consisting of both union and management that work out (creative if possible) solutions to the various issues being the negotiated.

I'm trying to find out if anyone on this list knows of negotiations that have involved OST or other self-organizing principles. One of the reasons I'm asking is that unions are often sceptical of IBB because they think that dividing individual members into various committees partially undermines their collective voice, which in essence is the core of union power. Thus before considering such an approach, they will likely want some assurance that it can work in their interest.

Hope there is someone with experience and insight. :)

Thanks,

Bui Petersen