Hi, folks!

The National Coalition for Dialogue & Deliberation (NCDD) holds interactive
conference calls with our members and potential members (i.e. anyone whose work
involves dialogue, deliberation or group process).  August's "confab call" is
happening next Wednesday from 2:00 to 3:30 Eastern, and you're welcome to join
us while there's still spots available.

For this next confab call, our guest speaker is Rich Harwood of the Harwood
Institute for Public Innovation.  Rich is kind of a superstar in the public
innovation / community problem solving / engagement realm.  He'll be talking to
us about his recent work helping community leaders in Newtown, CT decide what
to do with the elementary school where the shootings took place last December.
He'll also be talking with us about his groundbreaking work in general.

Register for this confab at http://ncdd.org/confabreg-aug2013 if you'd like to
join us!  Membership in NCDD is not required, and the call is FREE.  Full
announcement below.

Sandy Heierbacher
Director, National Coalition for Dialogue & Deliberation
sa...@ncdd.org • www.ncdd.org • @ncdd & @heierbacher

Registration open for Aug 7th Confab call with Rich Harwood
Add Comment
Posted by Sandy Heierbacher  |  July 22nd, 2013

We have a special guest lined up for our August confab call — Rich Harwood,
president and founder of The Harwood Institute for Public Innovation in
Bethesda, Maryland. The call will take place on Wednesday, August 7th, from
2:00 to 3:30 Eastern (11-12:30 Pacific), and registration is now open!

Earlier this year, Rich was asked to facilitate a series of meetings in
Newtown, CT to help the grieving city decide what to do with Sandy Hook
Elementary School, site of the horrific mass murder of children and school
personnel last December. We’ve asked Rich to talk to NCDD members about his
work in Newtown, and the broader work he and his colleagues are doing at the
Harwood Institute for Public Engagement. (Read the amazing story here.)

He brought 25 years of experience to the task in Newtown. Through community
conversations, constant innovation, and nationwide research, The Harwood
Institute has developed an approach that’s helped cities, organizations, and
individuals “Turn Outward” and build on public aspirations to get things done
for the common good. Rich has worked in struggling communities such as Newark,
Detroit, and Flint, Michigan and has created a group of “Beacon Communities” to
develop a critical mass of public innovators. He’s partnered with influential
organizations like United Way Worldwide, the Corporation for Public
Broadcasting, and the American Library Association in order to enhance their
relevance and impact in the communities they serve.

His latest book, The Work of Hope, asserts that fixing our politics shouldn’t
be our top priority. “The central task in our society is to restore belief in
ourselves and one another that we can get things done, together.” It was that
philosophy which guided Rich’s work in Newtown and brought about an emotional,
yet harmonious, decision.

NCDDs’s “Confab calls” provide opportunities for members to connect with each
other, hear about exciting projects in our field, and explore our most
difficult challenges. And since many of you may be hosting and facilitating
conversations on mental health as part of the White House’s initiative, we hope
you’ll sign up and benefit from the conversation about Rich’s experiences in
Newtown.

Register for the August 7th Confab today to reserve your spot!