A Case Study....
One of the principles that I have generally worked with in Open Space is
helping the client get clear on the 'boundaries' of the space that's being
opened. For example, helping people who come into the space to know 'what up
for grabs here and what isn't? What decisions have already been made?'

So picture this (purely hypothetical of course)....a church community in which
the pastor has (in many peoples' opinion) run off the rails and the main church
body is in the process of trying to dismiss him; the church is in compete
disarray and completely conflict ridden, many people have left; the pastor who
holds all the keys, banking passwords; church telephone connections etc etc,
has taken legal advice and had hunkered down in the church owned house where he
continues to hold the reigns of power (via some of his 'allies' in the church)
despite not formally being the Pastor of the church anymore....

So...here we have a situation where the 'boundaries' are actually in a state of
complex flux and uncertainty. The financial 'givens' are ambiguous; there is no
'locum' pastor in place because of legal uncertainties with the existing
pastor...etc etc.

So in terms of 'Opening Space', do we wait a bit longer until some of the legal
boundaries are clarified, OR open space right away in the midst of the
mess....my hunch is the latter, but any thoughts from anyone?

Cheers
Michael