Dear Michael,

first movie that comes to my mind
Salt of the Earth
here is a link
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047443/

I remember mostly the story of the miners' women that organized to fight the mining company to "protect" their husbands. It also shows vividly the connection between selforganisation and emancipation in a highly volatile context.

As I remember the movie, made in the 50s, was shown many decades later... it was certainly un- whatever, such as Un-American...

Greetings from Berlin where I and my family and neighbors are speechless about the airliner shot down over the Ukraine...

mmp