I think the idea of a change platform is an excellent one.

I have been putting together my own approach to this kind of work recently.
i’ve been thinking of it as a kind of operating system with different layers.
It’s about examining how I work with pretty much anyone - the kind of
theoretical basis for my work, my own strengths and preferences and
assumptions.  On top of that are ways of seeing the world that I apply pretty
consistently and on top of that, “apps” if you will that help work get done
coherently.

It has been a rewarding exercise to do this, and I can’t recommend it highly
enough to others in this field.  At the very least it helps make it clear to
others what you do and why and it has the added benefit of allowing you to see
your own assumptions about the way the world works.

Having said that, yeah, this article seems very 1985.  I’m pretty sure that
even in the hallowed belly of McKinsey, this thinking is pretty dated.  Being
the self-appointed guardians of what is the gold standard of management
consulting, it kind of bugs me when they publish stuff the rest of the world
has known for years as if it’s the latest trend.  Having said that, it’s always
nice to pull out their stuff when confronted with a particularly traditional
organization that is stuck in its thinking about change and complexity and
strategy.

Chris