Following up on a couple of questions I received offline, my reference to "the book" is to the book of proceedings - the documentation of what happened in each session over the course of the event.
--
Shalom,

Chris Kloth
ChangeWorks of the Heartland
254 South Merkle Road
Bexley, OH 43209-1801
ph 614-239-1336
fax 614-237-2347
www.got2change.com

Think globally. Act locally.

Quoting Chris Kloth via OSList <oslist@lists.openspacetech.org>:

Good day, everybody.

Every so often I am asked about the sustainability of results from OST, even a single OST event. I am also asked why I am so committed to making sure "The Book" gets finished and distributed.

Recently a bit of synchronicity reenforced for me the confidence I have in the sustainability of the results of even one event.

About 15 years ago I opened space on two separate occasions leading up to the move of a museum to a new and very different location. Two particular (and very different) exhibits could be completely re-imagined in the new setting. The lead design person for each of the two exhibits asked me to Open Space to invite input for the design of each exhibit. She used the input of the two very different events in the designs.

I recently took my granddaughter to that museum and I noticed that one of the exhibits (known popularly as "little kid space") remains very popular and has remained relatively unchanged. The other space has evolved considerably over time, but the underlying principles that drove the design remain evident in the exhibit.

Then I got a call from the same designer, who is now at another museum. She has asked me to open space for a much bigger design challenge. During a meeting of the team of people who will help craft the question that will frame the OST gathering I was asked about the sustainability of the results. I mentioned the recent visit to the group.

To my surprise the designer piped up and said she had recently been contacted by people who work at the first museum. They have continued to use the information in the books as part of their thinking in other work they do and needed a new copy of the originals!

Yup. The results are sustainable and The Book matters.