[Hello, folks - as your current OSLIST Poet Laureate I once again take the
opportunity to show your wisdom back to you. Whenever I do this, I am taking
things you said here in conversation about a topic and sensing how they fit
back together in a new way - “found poetry”, in honor of our dear departed past
Poet Laureate colleague, Ms. Laurel Doersam. Cheers, Lisa Heft]

___

Self-Organization

_

Let's take a moment to consider self organization, as 'field' or ‘practice'.
Self-organizing on individual, group and organizational levels.

What does someone need to know to say "I do self organization"?
(I have to confess to a smiling reaction when reading that question)

It reflects a lot of reading on the science of complexity,
time with masters,
what I’ve learned from my own practice
and from observing others.

Hi, people out there,
I have no idea what you're talking about, I'm sorry to say.
Thinking about self organization in the abstract gets pretty fuzzy.
I don’t know if there is an English translation.
Oh well.  I am probably learning.
And yet - as I was reading this, I see that there is self-organization at work
all the time.

Is it a glimpse of where we could "be" all the time in all our relations?
Yes - dare we believe that life and our relations could be like that all the
time?
Infinite, transfinite and finite.
Accessible to all.

It is quite unlikely that Darwin would have recognized the terms “self
organization”
but the story he tells is a rich description of the natural self organizing
world.
Given a rich diversity stressed internally and externally by environmental
forces, wonderful things emerge.
An action stimulates the performance of a next action.
Wherever, whenever life is happening.

When doing our research it is most important not only to understand what we are
looking at (re-searching),
but also and equally importantly, how we see it.
To constantly remind ourselves what we are looking at, and how we see.

The vital part of the process is that we are part of it!
We, everybody-all-at-once.
Very much a part of what we call “Life” - even if that Life does not proceed
exactly as we might wish it to.
Life in its total rich abundance, including the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Differences, love, racism, perhaps all the isms.
All of it.
Without judgment or blame.
A single totality, a single system.
Life in its fullness is self organization made manifest.

Suppose we were just to stop for a moment,
take a deep breath
and see what might happen all by itself,
naturally so to speak.

Breathe in …
Breathe out …

The conversations bring me back over and over again to my own process of
inquiry.
I hope we can keep the space open for those who like to ask why.
And what.
What do I believe, think, feel, know?

Thanks for all the questions, and for seeking the next question.
Together we infuse one another, know ourselves more deeply.
And in the process, find what is most effective in our actions as one living
being,
living together with other living beings doing the same.

Okay... now back to it!
On with our re-search!
The elegant power of self organization.
The conversation continues…

___

— By John Baxter, Rob Chaffe, Suzanne Daigle, Patricia Gooding, Kári
Gunnarsson, Lisa Heft, Skye Hirst, Peggy Holman, Daniel Mezick, Harrison Owen,
Harold Shinsato, Artur Silva, Julie Smith and Anne Stadler
February 28, 2015

___