In London last week Phelim formally introduced a new animal to add to our familiar butterflies and bumblebees. As noted in an earlier post, Phelim called it the Fly.

There was a sketch of the Fly on the wall - an insect with huge eyes, wings, and a camera. When Phelim introduced the creature on one of the morning openings, the fellow with the large high quality video camera came to demonstrate an aspect of "the Fly". When the fly came close to Phelim, he shooed it away. And then soon it came back. And he shooed it away again, repeating several times.

Having video taped a number of sessions and events in Open Space before - not with as excellent equipment - the Fly metaphor is really resonating. We're like the proverbial "Fly on the Wall" that provides access to events that others wish they could have seen. But the Fly can also detract. Some people get annoyed. It hampers their safety in being able to share. Sometimes people want to swat the Fly so they can just be present in the moment.

It felt like we had a professional "Fly" at WOSonOS 2012, and I look forward to some of the sweet stuff he captured after it gets digested.

But it also seems like the Fly is not a new animal at Open Space Technology events. In some ways, "The Fly" is part of the documentation story, not just for video but even for notes, drawings, audio recordings, and photos. Even written notes help those not present to be "the fly on the wall", yet it can be annoying to be quoted, or even to be the notes taker. Phelim even warned folks that the notes are visible to the whole world - so be sensitive to what you share!

I'm thinking of adding the Fly to our crew of insects to help remember some aspects that come up especially for videographers as they record and document. The metaphor empowers the participants to have a dialog with the recorders, empowers them to shoo away the flies, and prepares the flies that they may indeed be invited to stop recording in a light and fun way.

Does this metaphor fit? Is there a better one?

--
Harold Shinsato
har...@shinsato.com <mailto:har...@shinsato.com>