The term engagement has entered into the world of journalism. About a year ago,
someone asked me to define what I thought it meant to journalists. So I created
a table with a continuum:
https://medium.com/@PeggyHolman/what-do-journalists-mean-by-engagement-fc70d507d111#.ie194m594

<https://medium.com/@PeggyHolman/what-do-journalists-mean-by-engagement-fc70d507d111#.ie194m594>

You’ll note something I stumbled across and reference in the table: a spectrum
of engagement developed by IAP2 - the International Association for Public
Participation. In short, they named five stops on their spectrum: inform,
consult, involve, collaborate, empower. I think their hearts are in the right
place, though I wouldn’t use the term empower because it implies that someone
is actually in a position to give power away. I think it’s more about people
remembering the power that they always have should they choose to claim it.

In any case, I was struck that what I found independently tracked with what
they had named. More on their spectrum is here
<http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.iap2.org/resource/resmgr/imported/IAP2%20Spectrum_vertical.pdf>.

Peggy

_________________________________
Peggy Holman
Executive Director
Journalism that Matters
15347 SE 49th Place
Bellevue, WA  98006
425-746-6274
www.journalismthatmatters.net
www.peggyholman.com
Twitter: @peggyholman
JTM Twitter: @JTMStream

Enjoy the award winning Engaging Emergence: Turning Upheaval into Opportunity
<http://www.engagingemergence.com/>