Hi everybody,

I would like to reply on James’ comment about access and privilege in an online
world. I experience and observe that there are still enough problems and
inequalities to participate for many people:

First of all access to a device (computer, smart phone). Many have smart phones
but not all have a computer to use all possibilities of interacting like
working in break-out sessions together on Google doc or virtual collaboration
tools.
Second a strong and stable bandwidth. This depends on the region/country you
live in but also on your personal budget.
Third to be able to fully connect with others you need also a camera that
everybody can see you too, which definitely adds on to the personal connection.
Forth is connected with the 3rd point because a camera allows to sneak into
“your home” and shows a lot about your personal living standard and
enables/hinders you to concentrate on the participation (e.g. if family members
are in the same room, noise from the neighbourhood/street etc.). Even offices
can be difficult surroundings if you share the same room with several
colleagues.
Fifth, to participate from home is for many people a challenge because they
have children or other family members to care for and get interrupted.

Some of the above mentioned points might be mitigated easily. For instance we
don’t have to show where we are and can choose in some video tools the
background. Some limitations like local bandwidth is less in your control.

Regarding the background of our personal video, I prefer to see the “reality”
people are seated and understand a bit better the challenges around them. I
smile if a toddler wants to be on the lap of the daddy, or a colleague appears
unknowingly on the screen, or a cat hijacks the keyboard. It gives me a feeling
that we are all humans and not only nice and neat little computer screen
windows.

How is your experience regarding access and privilege?

Kind regards from sunny Vienna,
Judith

JuSt-Her e.U.
Judith Stemerdink-Herret

Consultant in organisational development, Facilitator for multistakeholder
participation, Trainer
FN 482990 f
UID ATU72945968

Phone: +43 699 8171 2134
Email: welc...@just-her.eu
Webpage: www.just-her.eu
Partner @ www.wendekraft.com

"If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together." African
Proverb