Instead of a visual indication of a future speed limit change, how about an
announcement via text-to-speech? Something like "Speed Reduction in 500
meters" (quarter of a mile, etc). Then the person driving need not look so
much at the device. Of the three countries I've driven in, the road signage
seems to be adequate for compliance, but not necessarily for efficiency
(which your usage case targets).