Careful with getting routing.xml from github: Sometimes there are changes
in it that are not finalized or compatible with the release of OsmAnd you
are running.

Case in point: I am running v2.5.4 and the version of routing.xml that was
on GitHub late last week would crash my version of OsmAnd. It appeared to
be something in the bicycle routing that was new and possibly not fully
debugged. I think it is safer to grab the APK file for your version of
OsmAnd and extract the routing.xml from it to use as your base for making
local changes.

Once you have a changed routing.xml file, it can be placed in the same
directory on your phone as the map files. On my phone that
is /sdcard/Android/data/net.osmand.plus/files/ but that can vary so just
look at the "Data storage folder" value in your OsmAnd "General Settings".