I won't go in on how languages are dealt with and which cross checks are
done.

OsmAnd dowloads the raw database dumps for all available languages from the
Wikipedia servers.
The scripts check all the articles for coordinates. If the article contains
coordinates, the article is added to the wkipedia file.

Harry