Hi Harry - Thank you for the feedback.
It looks as if there is a solution there, if I can handle the code - (a bit
of a foreign country for me!)

Suppose I succeed in creating a file for each of a range of speeds, each
with its own name, eg; routing3kt.xml, routing5kt.xml, etc; then copy them
all to the "/data/android/net.osmand(.plus)/files" directory, and re-boot;
is it viable to then set the desired speed by selecting the relevant file
without a re-boot between each adjustment?
Reason - When sailing, the speed toward the destination is not reliably
predictable in advance (because of unknown factors, eg wind speed,
currents, effects of waves, having to tack, etc.).  Having to re-boot
during navigation would be a pain.

Paul W