This is just anecdotal and someone with an understanding of the algorithm
would have a better answer, but using elevation data, I've made this work
for  a couple of hiking routes where the two routes are close to each other
and (of course) wind up in the same place.  One of them is in Yosemite,
where the direct route climbs steeply via stairs and the alternative is a
gentler climb, .6 km longer.  So I think it works for some circumstances,
but I'm not sure which ones.

The elevation data is embedded in the map; no contours required.