I did have a look at this earlier this year - the idea was/is to be a second OSM diary entry to follow on from https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/SomeoneElse/diary/391499 .  For various reasons it didn't get finished - it may need a few steps backwards first (removing options unused by me to make the replacement files easier to understand) before going forward again.  The resulting "work in progress" is at https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/osmand_files/tree/WIP2 but it is just that - an incomplete work in progress.  However, it might still be useful to look at if you're trying to do something similar.  I wasn't trying to add an "extra option" to the standard OsmAnd rendering files, just to create a drop-in replacement.

That's for offline maps of course - it's straightforward to do for online maps - just use tiles from https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html of the format https://map.atownsend.org.uk/hot/14/8158/5231.png .

Best Regards,

Andy