Thanks for sharing this! I did try Garmin BaseCamp, although I gave up on
it as several times it gave errors about there being no external devices
for bird's eye imagery or other types of layers, and also maps seem to be
payable, which for now while I'm still shopping around I'd rather not pay
for.

Just to clarify, what exactly is the difference between a GPX track and a
GPX route? I thought the idea is you create the exact shape of the
itinerary you want and then follow it with OSMand or some other software,
as long as it sticks to your contour and not recompute directions between
any two waypoints