In QGIS I followed the tutorials:
http://geophyswithsnuffler.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/processing-uk-environment-agency-lidar.html
and
http://www.qgistutorials.com/en/docs/working_with_terrain.html
but note that QGIS is constantly evolving. It's possible to run old
versions alongside the latest one, which can sometimes be useful.

   - Raster>Extraction>Contour and make sure the output file has a .shp
   extension (ESRI shapefile). Yes to add elevation attribute ELEV.
   - Right-click on the resulting contour layer and "Save as…" another
   shapefile with the CRS changed to WGS84

Next I used JOSM to convert to .osm and along the way adjusting the contour
tags to be what OsmAndMapCreator expects. I found an example of what
SRTM2OSM produces. It looks like this:

<way>

<nd ref="3000003337"/>

<nd ref="3000003338"/>

<tag k="elevation" v="1390"/>

<tag k="contour" v="elevation"/>

<tag k="contourtype" v="10m"/></way>

<way>

<nd ref="3004927551" />

<nd ref="3004927552" />

<tag k="elevation" v="2300" />

<tag k="contour" v="elevation" />

<tag k="contourtype" v="100m" />

<tag k="name" v="2300" />

</way>

So using JOSM with the opendata plugin, I loaded the shapefile, hit CRTL-A
to select all and changed all tag keys "ELEV" to "elevation" and "ID" to
"ref". Then I added the new tag key=contour value=elevation to them all. I
think OsmAnd's renderers also now require the "contourtype" tag - I would
try giving it the value 10m even if that's incorrect, to make sure the
renderers expect it.

The save as .osm and use OsmAndMapCreator, File>Create .obf from .osm file.
This generates an  .obf  that you can just copy into your main OsmAnd
directory - you should see the new contours in addition to any that you
already have.

All of these programs have changed in the 3 years since I did this! But I
hope this gives you a way in.