The priority is determined by whether you display the layer as an Overlay
map or an Underlay map.  In either case, you can also blend the two by
enabling "Show transparency seekbar".  The seekbar is light blue and shows
at the bottom of the screen.

(Regarding the query that's the title of this thread, I don't understand
the question.)