Carl Laufer <ad...@rtl-sdr.com> writes:

> If the upstream osmocom soversion is bumped, then all forks will eventually
> need to follow too. Because software packages will begin getting written
> for version 2, then those forks will need to update to be useful to those
> programs.

I think the real issue is what are forks doing and why.

There are basically two kinds:

  [things that aren't forks that github wrongly labels forks, which are
  just personal copies, either to have the bits, or as staging areas for
  proposing changes]

  a fork that intends to be compatible with a few features that are not
  yet in the main repo, or that have been rejected.  here, the release
  versions and soversion should track more or less exactly

  a fork that rejects the original repo, is renamed, and is its own
  thing

Then there are mirrors on different forges, often because some people
don't like other's forges (e.g., because github is proprietary, or
because !github is perceived as leaving out the used-to-monopoly crowd).

Often (not about this situation), I find that forks do not clearly state
that they are a fork, what the plan is and why, and what the status is.

I have found this community to be particularly hard to understand in
terms of fork status, relative to most others.

Overall, a healthy ecosystem
So: for each fork, why does it exist, and is there a plan to fold it in?