Brett, et al:

Please consider leaving the current "simple" schema intact (with
the addition of the index clustering) and instead create a third
schema for the HSTORE version.

Losing the current schema would break at least two of my use cases:

1: I use postGIS as back-end storage for GIS client software, and
use views and tables derived from queries against the OSM simple
schema to create various layers of OSM data in the GIS client,
e.g. roads, footpaths/trails/bike routes, hydrography, landuse,
structures (buildings), etc.  This is such an obvious technique
that I'd be very surprised not to find a lot of others doing the
same.

2: I am beginning a project to parallelize OSM data processing
with Hadoop, and the postgreSQL copy-format output is perfect
for loading into HDFS. (If this goes well, I'd want to discuss
ideas for adapting Osmosis to talk to Hadoop, eventually.)

I also think that the simple schema lends itself better to
research uses, especially when the input is a country/state
extract or smaller.

That said, I can also see cases where it would be useful to have
the option to create a "simple++" schema, with the separate
tags table *and* the HSTORE columns as well.

The CLUSTER operation is indeed a big performance booster.  Also,
creating the optional ways.bbox column is at least two orders of
magnitude faster when performed against an indexed ways.linestring
column rather than as-shipped, which uses the nodes geometry before
that has been indexed.