Hi,

Scott Crosby wrote:
If they do that conversion on windows, does that generate a pbf that
has the same md5sum as the geofabrik generated file? (And if not, then
I'd like both of those files!)

I'll try to assemble a proper test case with the help of one of the windows users.

* converting the Geofabrik-generated .osm.pbf to XML will copy exactly
10,600,000 nodes to the XML file and then stop, without error, adding a
proper "</osm>" but no ways or relations.

Is this with pbf2osm or osmosis or both?

This is when trying an Osmosis-on-Linux-generated .osm.pbf to .osm with Osmosis-on-Windows. pbf2osm is not part of this particular problem.

Is the 10,600,000 nodes from different files or the same file?

The resulting XML file has 10,600,000 nodes.

Does anybody have an idea why this might be? The europe.osm.pbf can be
processed without problems on Linux, with Osmsis as well as with the mkgmap
splitter.

Did the users having this problem successfully work with geofabrik
extracts from last week or last month on their windows machines?

Yes, they claim they did. The only change that I made is upgrading from 0.37 to latest SVN, and adding the cascadingRelations=true option which should really only influence relations.

Other than that, bizarre. I had some random crashes with the mkgmap
splitter, until I found this bug:
http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=6888898  and started running
with -XX:-ReduceInitialCardMarks

I'm wondering if this is some issue with corruption with the JDK
that's rare and causes spurrious correlations. That would explain why
smaller files are less likely to hit the issue, whatever it is.

I think one of the error reporters indeed seems to have some sort of hardware (RAM) fault but it is unlikely that all of them do.

I don't have development environment on windows to do any experiments of my own.

Same here although I might be able to conjure something up on an old laptop.

Bye
Frederik