Although I wrote to Brett directly that extending the polygon to 181° works I have observed that is works only for osm input but not for pbf input.

osmosis --read-pbf file=180.osm.pbf --bounding-polygon file=asia.poly --write-xml file=filtered.osm
throws an exception:

SCHWERWIEGEND: Thread for task 1-read-pbf failed
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Bound coordinates outside of valid range
at org.openstreetmap.osmosis.core.domain.v0_6.Bound.<init>(Bound.java:72) at org.openstreetmap.osmosis.areafilter.v0_6.PolygonFilter.simpleBoundIn
tersect(PolygonFilter.java:118)
at org.openstreetmap.osmosis.areafilter.v0_6.PolygonFilter.process(Polyg
onFilter.java:71)
at org.openstreetmap.osmosis.core.container.v0_6.BoundContainer.process(
BoundContainer.java:59)
at org.openstreetmap.osmosis.areafilter.v0_6.AreaFilter.process(AreaFilt
er.java:116)
at crosby.binary.osmosis.OsmosisBinaryParser.parse(OsmosisBinaryParser.j
ava:245)
        at crosby.binary.BinaryParser.handleBlock(BinaryParser.java:64)
        at crosby.binary.file.FileBlock.process(FileBlock.java:135)
at crosby.binary.file.BlockInputStream.process(BlockInputStream.java:34)

        at crosby.binary.osmosis.OsmosisReader.run(OsmosisReader.java:37)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
14.06.2011 18:56:20 org.openstreetmap.osmosis.core.Osmosis main
SCHWERWIEGEND: Execution aborted.
org.openstreetmap.osmosis.core.OsmosisRuntimeException: One or more tasks failed
.
at org.openstreetmap.osmosis.core.pipeline.common.Pipeline.waitForComple
tion(Pipeline.java:146)
        at org.openstreetmap.osmosis.core.Osmosis.run(Osmosis.java:92)
        at org.openstreetmap.osmosis.core.Osmosis.main(Osmosis.java:37)
at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launchStandard(Laun
cher.java:329)
at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launch(Launcher.jav
a:239)
at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(La
uncher.java:409)
at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:
352)
        at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:31)

So the pbf parser should be changed.

WanMil

I'm surprised nobody has brought this up before :-)  It's always been a
limitation of the polygon task.

Osmosis uses the Java 2D libraries to do the polygon calculations.
Please read the "Definition of insideness" in the following link which
explains why you're seeing this issue.
http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/awt/Shape.html

We have no way of changing the functionality of the inbuilt java
libraries we're stuck with this one.

I wonder if we should even have points existing on both 0 and 180
longitudes in the database given that they're the same location.
Perhaps a number of tools rely on it though.

Can you modify your polygon to extend to 181°?  I don't think I've ever
tried it, but it should work in theory.

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 7:04 AM, WanMil <wmgc...@web.de