On 29 November 2011 18:47, Datendelphin <mailingl...@osm.datendelphin.net>wrote:

> Hi Brett
> >
> > Is there any reason you're setting a CLASSPATH?  The project should be
> > self-contained and capable of retrieving all dependencies over the
> > Internet.  Unless there's some Gentoo-specific reason for setting a
> > CLASSPATH I'd unset that environment variable.
> >

> It is a good thing that it is self contained for user installations. But
> I don't think that concept can work for a distribution. The package
> manager must install the dependencies. It is not possible for osmosis to
> download dependencies afterwards. It is run as a user, and users can't
> write to the installation folder of the application.
> I once tried to make an ebuild for osmosis and miserably failed, because
> of this and because I know too little about Java.

If you want to create a distribution specific build for Osmosis you won't
be able to use the existing ant build, it is highly coupled to the Ivy
dependency management framework which downloads dependent jar files from
the Internet.

I've personally never tried to package a Java application using Linux
packaging tools so I'm afraid I'm not much help.

Brett