Dear OSRM community,

I am happy to announce the release of OSRM v0.4.1 [1], your favorite
OpenStreetMap based routing engine, just days after the v0.4.0 mile stone. We
are moving at a fast pace and are combining more than 60+ commits (79 files
changed, 3660 insertions(+), 2156 deletions(-)) this time. The most prolific
new feature is travel-time distance table generation.

This is the shortened change log:

- new API call: efficient distance table computation
- use 100 locations at max for dist table (for now)
- JSON output generation through a dedicated JSON container
- deactivate LTO on debug build
- fix performance regression in preprocessing
- use static assertions for better source code correctness
- add some static asserts to guard against memory usage regressions
- do less work when compressing geometries
- move most geometric calculations to float
- replace boost::unordered_map, move hash function for pairs into its own header
- refactor route name extraction into its own class, fix name extraction
- further includes untangling
- introduce range based for loops to traverse graphs
- further boost by STL replacements
- use lookup tables from some trigonometry functions
- fix compile regression in debug build
- further code improvements and bug fixes

Please not the following (minor) breaking changes:

- the JSON formatted output now omits empty, i.e. unused fields
- the response file names are now response.js(on) or route.gpx

As always, we are dog-fooding our releases and the code of v0.4.1 is already
running on our demo site [2] for a couple of days now. Details on how to query
for distance tables is available on the wiki [3]. The API endpoint will become
available over the weekend. Please note that we are limiting real-time table
generation to 100 locations at this time. The v0.4.x release series focuses on
new features and significate efficiency improvements. Further preprocessing
savings are already in the works, slated for the v0.4.2 release. Big thanks to
everyone who contributed to this important milestone release!

Dennis (on behalf of Team OSRM)

--

[1] https://github.com/DennisOSRM/Project-OSRM/releases/tag/v0.4.1
[2] http://map.project-osrm.org