Let me show you how you can find out more about specific variables like
mode_ferry:

your best bet is to search the code base, for example, see this initial
search for mode_ferry:

https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=mode_ferry&type=Code

you can see how we set result.forward_mode and result.backward_mode to
mode_ferry there, so let's search for forward_mode:

https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=forward_mode&type=Code

this gives us some lua profiles, which we ignore, since we want to see how
the OSRM implementation uses forward_mode and backward_mode; the last
search hit is scripting_environment.cpp:

https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/blob/8f6fc0146ba76d34d20c5b7a87b75249bbb12b82/extractor/scripting_environment.cpp#L121-L124

this is where we expose the ExtractionWay's set_forward_mode and
set_backward_mode member functions, aliasing them to the lua properties
forward_mode and backward_mode --- so let's go on searching for the
ExtractionWay type:

https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/blob/8f6fc0146ba76d34d20c5b7a87b75249bbb12b82/extractor/extraction_way.hpp#L112-L115

in those member functions, the forward_travel_mode and backward_travel_mode
are set accordingly. If you check their types a few lines below in the
member attribute declarations, you will see they are of type TravelMode.
And here it is:

https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/blob/8f6fc0146ba76d34d20c5b7a87b75249bbb12b82/data_structures/travel_mode.hpp#L34-L35

a quick search for TRAVEL_MODE_INACCESSIBLE reveals the following line in
the extractor:

https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/blob/9ef1f8cba31ec8323b357d233f1c552b1c7c9e09/extractor/extractor_callbacks.cpp#L95-L99

where ways are discarded, if they are inaccessible! Tada!

As you can see, even though it is quite a bit of effort tracing back
specific variables, it can be done in a few minutes with only the most
basic tools (I did this entirely using the Github search functionality ---
of course you can use grep or your code browser of choice, too).

Hope that helps,
Daniel J H