Yes, you are right.
I'm sorry I give you an old link, here the current version documentation:
http://project-osrm.org/docs/v5.15.2/api/#trip-service

The route service finds the fastest route between coordinates *in the
supplied order*.

The trip plugin solves (try to) the *Traveling Salesman Problem. *(I think
it's what you need)
Please keep in mind the roundtrip option (route returns to first location)
In the last version there are two new option source/destination if you want
to fix the first and the last point and reorder the others, otherwise the
service use the supplied points in any order to reach the goal. (please
follow the supported combinations of roundtrip, source and destination
according to the table)

Rgds

Nico Aymet