Jeroen Hook wrote:
> Is there another way to find out what type of road(s) I am crossing?

I think the easiest solution would be to allow bicycles on your
highway=primary, but set it to be a restricted access road (or just to have a
really high cost). That way you’d still call process_turn, but in reality the
primary road wouldn't be used for routing.

My private cycle.travel fork does something like this in its equivalent of
process_turn (e.g.
https://cycle.travel/map?from=51.7546,-1.2612&to=51.7554,-1.2616), though it’s
a (pretty extensive) fork of 4.9.x so not directly comparable.

Alternatively, you could do some preprocessing to mark intersections, depending
on the size of your source data. For a different project I wrote
https://github.com/systemed/intersector which identifies junctions in an
.osm.pbf. If you were to patch it to output node IDs, then look up those node
IDs in process_node, you could assign crossing penalties that way.

Richard