Yes I believe that the process described using niload will work in any version of Mac OS X.

In any case for your reference I am copying below the full man page for niload

As for -r, sorry for the confusion but it IS supported, the man page for cp says:

COMPATIBILITY
Historic versions of the cp utility had a -r option. This implementation supports that option, however, its use is strongly discouraged, as it
     does not correctly copy special files, symbolic links or fifo's.

I do not know why it failed so badly on one of my OS X Server machines, but when I tried it again on another OS X Server and a "normal" OS X, everything was compiled correctly.

One other issue, the firewall-drop active-response script does not work at all!! great shame as I think this would be an essential parto to ossec's utility... ¿Is there any way to make it work without the "table" support?

Regards,
Charles

#man niload
NILOAD(8) NILOAD(8)

NAME
       niload - load text or flat-file-format data into NetInfo

SYNOPSIS
niload [ -v ] [ -d ] [ -m ] [ -p ] [ -t ] { -r directory | format }
       domain

DESCRIPTION
niload loads information from standard input into the given NetInfo domain. If format is specified, the input is interpreted according to the flat-file file format of the same name. The allowed values for format are aliases, bootparams, bootptab, fstab, group, hosts, net-
       works, passwd, printcap, protocols, rpc, and services.

If -r directory is specified instead of a flat-file file format, the input is interpreted as "raw" NetInfo data, as generated by nidump -r, and loaded into directory. Note that this operation will delete and replace the entire NetInfo subtree at the specified directory. Any
       existing records in this subtree will be lost.

niload overwrites entries in the existing directory with those given in the input. Entries that are in the directory aren't deleted if they don't exist in the input, unless the -d option is specified. niload must be run as superuser on the master NetInfo server for the given domain, unless one specifies the -p option, which allows one to run
       from anywhere in the network.

OPTIONS
-v Verbose. Prints details of records as they are updated (flat-
              file formats only).

-d Delete entries which are in the directory, but not in the input.

-m Merge properties and values. Existing properties will be pre- served in the database if they are not present in the input. For example, if a user record has a "picture" property, loading a passwd-format record for this user will preserve the property.
              Property values are also merged.

-p Prompt for the root password of the given domain so that one can run from other locations in the network besides the master.

-t Interpret the domain as a tagged domain. For example, "trot- ter/network" refers to the database tagged "network" on the machine "trotter". The machine name can be an actual name or an
              IP address.

-r Load entries in "raw" format, as generated by nidump -r. The first argument should be the path of a NetInfo directory into which the information is loaded. Since the input often speci- fies properties (including "name") at its topmost level, the directory you specify may be renamed as a result of this opera- tion. If the directory you specify does not exist, it will be
              created.

SYSTEM USAGE
Most processes on Mac OS X access the information from the files in /etc and from NetInfo indirectly through the system library and the lookupd daemon. In some cases the files in /etc are consulted before NetInfo, making it unnecessary to copy information from these files into NetInfo. The files /etc/hosts, /etc/networks, /etc/ services,
       /etc/protocols, and /etc/rpcs are consulted before NetInfo.

Additionally, the /etc/exports file is the primary source for NFS file share configuration. niload no longer supports loading NFS file share
       information into NetInfo.

       See lookupd(8) for more information.

EXAMPLES
"niload passwd . < /etc/passwd" loads the local /etc/passwd file into
       the local NetInfo database.

"niload -d -r /locations ." replaces the contents of / locations in the
       local domain with input given in nidump "raw" format.

SEE ALSO
lookupd(8), nidump(8), niutil(8), netinfo(5), aliases (5), boot- params(5), bootptab(5), fstab(5), group(5), hosts(5), networks(5),
       passwd(5), printcap(5), protocols(5), rpc(5), services(5)

Apple Computer, Inc. December 22, 1992 NILOAD(8)