From: ossec-list@googlegroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
shadejinx
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2008 2:26 PM
To: ossec-list; Dave Cushing
Subject: [ossec-list] OSSEC via Splunk

So far, I have been unimpressed with the WUI and decided to use Splunk
as the interface to OSSEC.  If you don't know what Splunk is, head to
www.splunk.com and check it out.  It's a fantastic product for
correlating log data, and there's a free  version that's perfect for
the volume of data output by OSSEC.

**Disclosure: I don't work for Splunk, but I would in a heartbeat.

So here's how it works...  OSSEC agents are installed on server,
reporting to the OSSEC Server.  Splunk uses the /var/ossec/log/
alerts.log file as in input and voila, your done.... well not quite...

The alert structure of OSSEC is not as machine readable as Splunk
would like, so there's some customization that has to take place in
order to get the best information out of it.  But when you do, you get
access to Splunk's extremely powerful parsing and statistics engine
that can generate excellent graphs and reports as well as provide a
very powerful Google-like search interface on all your OSSEC data.

So you might be asking: Why don't you just use Spunk to handle all
your log data?

Excellent question, and the answer is twofold.  One, Splunk is not an
automatic event correlator.  It can't do the "If you see this event 10
times in 20 minutes, followed by this event, throw this flag" thing
automatically.  (Even though "Transaction Types" is getting close,
it's still not quite good enough) It is, however, the best manual
event correlator though.  It's the tool I would turn to when I'm
researching the flag thrown by OSSEC in the above event.

And Two:  Money.  Splunk recently got expensive, so instead of having
Splunk handle all my immense amount of log data and pay tons of cash,
I downloaded the free version and it handles the output of OSSEC.  If
you have the cash, I *highly* recommend running both.

My question: Is there a way to get a more machine readable output to
feed something like Splunk or swatch?  Could this be a wishlist
feature?