Unless your team is still writing C and C++ programs, all they will need are
the C runtimes (libgcc) of the particular version that their apps were
compiled against and whatever libraries it needs.  You could install the
compiler to a new location and compile from there, just make sure whatever
library path you make to hold the runtimes you update the registered paths
on the system (use crle).  As far as using the Sun C compiler (what is now
known as part of Developer studio), that would probably not work due to
certain libraries, includes, etc that are not part of that compiler suite.
Could you make it work?  Yes.  But you would have to obviously know C or C++
well enough to translate certain pieces of code and includes to Sun's
libraries.  You would also have to compile any dependancies that ossec has
against the Sun C compiler as well.  (Linkage doesn't hold from Sun's C
compiler to Gcc).  If I am to understand you correctly, you are abandoning
the attempt for a Solaris 8 install, so I will not mess with it.

Haz