Hi,

I think since active response is available for both Windows and unix
operating systems, the restart-ossec.cmd is only created on Win-
Agents. However the ar.conf and the merged.mg in "$YOUR_OSSEC_DIR/etc/
shared" contain an entry for restart-ossec.cmd, maybe to keep these
files platform independent.

Without looking at the source code I would assume that execd processes
ar.conf and merged.mg and checks if the listed scripts are available,
so once a rule that triggers the corresponding active response, it
knows if it can run the active-response.

So to answer your questions:

1. Imo OSSEC doesnt want to restart itself, but only checks if restart-
ossec.cmd is existing.
2. The file is the Windows equivalent shellscript for restart-ossec.sh
in unix.

Kind regards,

Oscar