Adi, Quick question. Were you able to get the new file alert working?  I've
been trying with no success. I modified the rules and syscheck as documented
but still it doesn't work. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank
You Christian....

Christian L. Kovac
Sr Network Support Analyst
Information Technology & Project Management
Metro-North Railroad
ko...@mnr.org
212-499-4642

THINK GREEN q Do you really need to print this e-mail?

>>> Adi CHIRU <adi.ch...@avangate.com> 5/19/2010 8:51 AM >>>
First, I stoped ossec daemons, emptied those files manually and start ossec
daemons. Everything went find until a restarted ossec when that errors started
to appear again.

After this I stopped ossec, deleted the files completely and started ossec. The
files were created and again, the errors in logs only appeared after I
restarted ossec (usually because I change the configuration files).

It seems that a solution would be to clear the database (those files in
/var/ossec/queue/syscheck/ directory before each [re]start) but I am not sure
that this would also be a good idea.

And one more question, if I may:

Where can I find details about the logic in alerting behaviour of ossec? I am
interested in an answear about what ossec does after an event of new file or
deleted file or modified ownership on a file was found and an alert was issued;
does ossec keep sending that alert each time it detects the event or after
first detection the database is updated and so the next run will not detec the
same event again?

Thanks,
Adi