There is a paper describing how to do this with Nagios here: http://www.cs.umb.edu/~rouilj/sec/sec_paper_full.pdf .  Perhaps looking at what they do  can help.

On 12/15/2010 10:44 AM, Christopher Moraes wrote:
Hi,

I have the exact same deployment scenario (ossec running off a syslog-ng centralized log) and requirement. i.e. to identify if some servers/devices stop logging.

Ossec does not support this by default, but I'm thinking of using the active-response feature to do this.

What I *plan* to do is -
1.  Setup a rule that will fire an alert on every log
2.  Setup an active response command that will get invoked for every log message.  The command will pass the 'srcip' to a daemon process (which has to be developed).
3.  The daemon process will keep a track of srcips and will generate an alert if a source stops logging for a certain amount of time.

The downside to this is that there will be a performance hit since ossec is firing an alert on every log message.  I don't know how much of a performance hit this will be, but OSSEC currently exceeds my required EPS by a factor of 2, so I know I have some room to play with.