Hi everyone,

I have made a small enhancement to OSSEC to support different configuration
profiles for agents.  If you are interested in this feature and would like
to help, I would appreciate if you could help me test it out.

The code is available from my bitbucket repository at
http://bitbucket.org/cmoraes/ossec.
(based off the current 2.6 beta source code)

Background -

I needed OSSEC to support different syscheck/rootkit/localfile rules for
different categories of servers. For e.g. I needed one config for our Linux
Oracle servers, another one for our Linux JEE App servers, another for our
Windows Domain controllers, etc.

>From what I found, ossec currently supports agent configurations based on
agent name or OS name.  For my use case, creating a config for each agent
name was too granular (I have 25 linux database (oracle) servers and wanted
to create one configuration for all of them) and creating one for each OS
was too coarse grained.

So I have implemented a feature to support configuration "profiles".
Agents can be assigned a profile name (which can be any string) and that
profile name is matched with the config profile in the shared agent.conf.

A new "profile" attribute is now supported in the agent.conf file.

<agent_config *profile*="LinuxOracleDBServer">
</agent_config>

And in the agent's etc/ossec.conf file, a new config element
"config-profile" is added

<ossec_config>
  <client>
    <server-ip>10.200.36.157</server-ip>
    *<config-profile>LinuxOracleDBServer</config-profile>*
  </client>
</ossec_config>

This should make the enhancement backward compatible, so you don't have to
change already deployed agents if you don't want to assign them a profile.

The code is in an alpha state.  I have tested it for a few use cases. If you
can try it out, I'd love to hear your feedback.

Regards,
Chris