From: ossec-list@googlegroups.com [mailto:ossec-list@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Chad
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2011 12:42
To: ossec-list
Subject: [ossec-list] OSSEC False Positives

Hey guys, I know this has been covered at least a dozen times on the
board, but I can't for the life of me figure this out. I'm hoping
someone can help. I am trying to suppress alerts from "Multiple
Windows audit failure events." Below I have posted the entire alert:

Rule: 18153 fired (level 10) -> "Multiple Windows audit failure
events."
Portion of the log(s):

WinEvtLog: Security: AUDIT_FAILURE(5152): Microsoft-Windows-Security-
Auditing: (no user): no domain: ********.com: The Windows Filtering
Platform has blocked a packet.    Application Information:      Process
ID:     0       Application Name: -    Network Information:     Direction:
%
%14592          Source Address:         172.22.128.3    Source Port:    2727
Destination Address: 255.255.255.255    Destination Port:       48002
Protocol:       17    Filter Information:       Filter Run-Time ID: 65606
Layer Name:     %%14597         Layer Run-Time ID: 13

I have written a rule, following instructions on the below URLs, to no
avail.

http://groups.google.com/group/ossec-list/browse_thread/thread/810b25f9e51ecde9/d6d870cc177b6ac0?lnk=gst&q=rule+18153#d6d870cc177b6ac0

http://groups.google.com/group/ossec-list/browse_thread/thread/9c8f8f9d78c7fa48/6e1b23b8ed873cb6?lnk=gst&q=rule+18153#6e1b23b8ed873cb6

Here is the rule I have written in local_rules currently:

<rule id="100001" level="0">
                <if_sid>18105</if_sid>
                    <match>^Microsoft Filtering Platform has dropped a
packet</match>
                    <description>Ignore WFP packet drops</description>
        </rule>

I've tried changing the match tags to <regex>, using <srcip>, etc.,
per the instructions from the links above, only to wind up with the
same results.

Next, I ran the event through ossec-logtest. Here are the results from
it:

WinEvtLog: Security: AUDIT_FAILURE(5152): Microsoft-Windows-Security-
Auditing: (no user): no domain: ******.com: The Windows Filtering
Platform has blocked a packet.    Application Information:    Process
ID:     0       Application Name: -    Network Information:

**Phase 1: Completed pre-decoding.
       full event: 'WinEvtLog: Security: AUDIT_FAILURE(5152):
Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing: (no user): no domain:
********.com: The Windows Filtering Platform has blocked a packet.
Application Information:        Process ID:     0       Application
Name: -    Network Information:  '
       hostname: 'ossec'
       program_name: '(null)'
       log: 'WinEvtLog: Security: AUDIT_FAILURE(5152): Microsoft-
Windows-Security-Auditing: (no user): no domain: ********.com: The
Windows Filtering Platform has blocked a packet.    Application
Information:       Process ID:     0       Application Name: -
Network Information:  '

**Phase 2: Completed decoding.
       decoder: 'windows'
       status: 'AUDIT_FAILURE'
       id: '5152'
       extra_data: 'Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing'
       dstuser: '(no user)'
       system_name: '******'

**Rule debugging:
    Trying rule: 6 - Generic template for all windows rules.
       *Rule 6 matched.
       *Trying child rules.
    Trying rule: 7301 - Grouping of Symantec AV rules from eventlog.
    Trying rule: 18100 - Group of windows rules.
       *Rule 18100 matched.
       *Trying child rules.
    Trying rule: 18101 - Windows informational event.
    Trying rule: 18102 - Windows warning event.
    Trying rule: 18104 - Windows audit success event.
    Trying rule: 18103 - Windows error event.
    Trying rule: 18105 - Windows audit failure event.
       *Rule 18105 matched.
       *Trying child rules.
    Trying rule: 18120 - Windows login attempt (ignored). Duplicated.
    Trying rule: 100001 - Ignore WFP packet drops
    Trying rule: 18153 - Multiple Windows audit failure events.
    Trying rule: 18106 - Windows Logon Failure.
    Trying rule: 18139 - Windows DC Logon Failure.
    Trying rule: 18180 - MS SQL Server Logon Failure.
    Trying rule: 18108 - Failed attempt to perform a privileged
operation.

**Phase 3: Completed filtering (rules).
       Rule id: '18105'
       Level: '4'
**Alert to be generated.

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction on this. Thanks
in advance!