Have a mixed environment with 2000 nodes - HP, AIX, Linux, Windows,
Solaris.
The only common denominator (not for Windows) was using puppet. It
also makes managing groups of servers and configs so much easier. I
have specific recipes for different types of servers, regardless of
the OS. For example a web server could be Linux or Solaris,v but I
keep one agent.cong file. It is on the puppet master server, when I
change it gets pulled by all the puppet clients and they have rules
saying "restart" when the file changes. I stick with the default 30
minute cycle, so the bottom line is that a worse case scenario is I
change the config, and within about 30 minutes, all the associated
servers are updated and running the new agent config.

www.puppetlabs.com

cheers
Kat