Hello Dan.  ossec-makelists does report that it is making a new .cdb:

* File lists/employees.cdb need to be updated

The longest I was waiting was 3-5 minutes.

On a related note, I was trying to figure out if there was a format for
comments in the text version of the list.  ossec-makelists appeared to
put lines with leading '#' into the .cdb file (according to strings).  I
guess I could come up with a simple Makefile to manage comments though.

Thanks, Andy