The problem is that the 404 is not for the static file favicon.ico, but for a
.php script that is passed favicon.ico as an argument and returns a 404. Either
/theme/image.php does not exist, or it is written to return a 404 when passed a
non-existent filename as an argument. In any case, I think the active response
is acting appropriately by taking action against repeated 404's on a php
script, don't you? The solution then is webserver-side; either rewrite requests
for favicon.ico, rewrite the php, or, simplest of all, upload a favicon.ico,
even a blank one. Maybe configure your webserver to ignore or not log favicon
requests. Something that actually addresses the 404 error itself.

Cheers,

--ScottVR