On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 9:42 AM, Kat <uncommon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I always wondered about that - shouldn't anything in "Local..." get
> processed before the built-in?
> I did have a feeling it was order dependent, and I took the route of
> making the rules "decoded_as - windows_date_format" and everything
> works, and this now confirms my thoughts that local did NOT get
> processed first, but maybe this could be something for the future - a
> switch for processing local BEFORE or AFTER builtin? Let the
> organization decided on an install basis? I could see this fixing a
> lot of ambiguity.
>
> thanks for the clarification..

I have a bunch of decoders in local_decoders that rely on decoders in
the default file. Your change breaks that. ;)

You could easily add another decoder list that gets processed before
decoders.xml does. Use the decoder or decoder_dir options
(http://www.ossec.net/doc/syntax/head_ossec_config.rules.html).