From: ossec-list@googlegroups.com [mailto:ossec-list@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Sanders, Nate
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2012 2:42 PM
To: ossec-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [ossec-list] Re: OSSEC large scale deployment

Thinking about it, I tried this in local_rules.xml

  <rule id="100004" level="5">
    <if_sid>18105</if_sid>
    <match>4771</match>
    <match>0x18</match>
    <description>Failed Password</description>
    <group>win_authentication_failed,</group>
  </rule>

I also tried the above with ONLY the 2nd match statement (0x18).

I see events triggering in the alert.log for this, but I see nothing in Splunk
for the group "Failed Password". Does anyone know exactly where Splunk gets
it's grouping from? On my OSSEC dashboard in Splunk I see, "Windows DC Logon
Failure., Windows is shutting down, Windows audit failure event", all of these
look to be taken right from <description> in the OSSEC rule, but the one above
I created isn't showing up.

root@ausossec01:/var/ossec/etc$ grep -c 18105 ../logs/alerts/alerts.log
4880
root@ausossec01:/var/ossec/etc$ grep -c 100004 ../logs/alerts/alerts.log
0

It looks like my rule is not triggering. Why?