On 08/10/2012 10:17 AM, Kat wrote:
JB & Michael - good thoughts - only one problem, I have 4000 hosts.
Gonna make for a very looooonnngggggg rules file.

Oh, I see. You want a different ignore interval for each host.

My thought on this is simple - more so for alerting on attacks/issues as
they move around. Or for the audit rules - another reason for this. Here
is the situation - let's say an audit rule kicks off, so I create a
ticket for a team to fix that problem, but I want to give them 7 days
(or some arbitrary number, maybe only a day) to fix the problem - I want
to ignore that rule for a period of time. Now this is simple in the
world of a few dozen hosts, but when we are in the hundreds or
thousands, not so much. AND if it triggers on each of those 4000 hosts,
then yes, I have a problem, but even if it only triggers on 2000, I need
a way to "acknowledge" the alert for a certain amount of time.

I believe rootcheck rules will only trigger once until the deviation has been resolved. I would have to verify, though...