Sorry, I think I misunderstood the initial question and ended up going off
on a tangent :)

I don't think it's a one-or-the-other choice and as you were referring to,
it's probably best to use both OSSEC and Cloudwatch together if the need is
there. But as far as active response, FIM, and probably several other
features, I don't see those features with Cloudwatch. From the way I
understand it, it seems OSSEC has more granular features whereas Cloudwatch
may provide more high-level monitoring and statistics.