Some of the out-of-the-box rules include an 'alert_by_email' option so that you
receive an e-mail regardless of the level chosen in your ossec.conf.
Reference:
http://www.ossec.net/doc/faq/alerts.html#i-set-the-email-alert-level-to-10-why-do-i-keep-seeing-rules-with-lower-levels

If the above is not the answer to your issue, can you please provide some of
the rule ids you are experiencing this issue with?