From: ossec-list@googlegroups.com [mailto:ossec-list@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of dan (ddp)
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2012 10:06 PM
To: ossec-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [ossec-list] segmentation fault

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 7:17 PM, Carrie Poole
<carrie.po...@andesaservices.com> wrote:
> Line 138 in ossec.conf is the active response, which is disabled:
>
>         <!-- Active Response Config -->
>
>         <active-response>
>
>                 <disabled>yes</disabled>
>
>                 <!-- This response is going to execute the host-deny
>
>                  - command for every event that fires a rule with
>
>                  - level (severity) >= 6.
>
>                  - The IP is going to be blocked for  600 seconds.
>
>                  -->
>
>                 <command>host-deny</command>
>
>                 <location>local</location>
>
>                 <level>6</level>
>
>                 <timeout>600</timeout>
>
>         </active-response>
>
>         <active-response>
>
>                 <disabled>yes</disabled>
>
>                 <!-- Firewall Drop response. Block the IP for
>
>                  - 600 seconds on the firewall (iptables,
>
>                  - ipfilter, etc).
>
>                  -->
>
>                 <command>firewall-drop</command>
>
>                 <location>local</location>
>
>                 <level>6</level>
>
>                 <timeout>600</timeout>
>
>         </active-response>

So it looks like line 138 in ossec-control should be something like:
 for i in ${SDAEMONS}; do

which goes through the list of daemons and tries to start them. One of
them is failing, and you have to figure out which one.

> All of the ossec logs on the agent say they can't reach the server,
> but this wasn't the case last week. The ossec server log doesn't say
> anything, it acts as if the agents aren't even there. It does syscheck

> but no longer sees the agents.

Check the system logs, Linux usually logs segfaults. You could also see
which daemons are running after the segfault. If no traffic is passing
between the agents and the server, ossec-agentd may have crashed. But
real troubleshooting can't really happen until the basics are taken care
of, namely finding out which daemon is crashing.