ok, I feel dumb.  I've described the problem incorrectly.  I was looking at
the wrong test file.  I redid the entire process, and now I'm seeing that
after the file deletes, it no longer shows up on the syscheck again.  Here
are the steps I took to test.

1) Restart Agent and let it run the initial syscheck
2) After Syscheck is done, delete the file
3) Restart the Agent again and let it run initial syscheck again
4) Force Syscheck from the Server

It does not show after 3 or 4.

I'm going to test skipping step 3 and do a force syscheck after deleting
the file and see if it is logged at all.

If not, then it looks like the Agent isn't even reporting that the file is
no longer there.