Update:
I'm almost done with the mods but I have a question for anyone that has
used ossec2mysql.pl in daemon mode before:

Does it work?...
executing: <path to ossec2mysql.pl> --conf <path to conf> -d  OR --daemon

Simply starts ossec2mysql.pl, logs a single event at
/var/log/ossec2mysql.log and that's it...
ps auwx |grep ossec2mysql shows it is not running...
lsof |grep alerts confirms only ossec has the file open....

I've been looking at the code and can't figure out how the current code
would actually tail
continously...

I finally gave up and modded the following line:
EDIT:
line 446 - open STDIN, '/dev/null' or die "Can't read /dev/null: $!";
line 446 - open STDIN, "-|", "/usr/bin/tail", "-f",
"/var/ossec/logs/alerts/2013/Feb/ossec-alerts-04.log" or die "could not
start tail on $LOG: $!";

This seems to have done the trick and the script is on a constant tail.

Once I finish this last issue I will run the new script on our prod
environment to see how it performs....