On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 9:46 PM, Ryan Schulze <r...@dopefish.de> wrote:
> On 3/7/2013 8:33 PM, dan (ddp) wrote:
>>
>> Make sure /bin/sh is bash and not dash.
>
> Actually the problem is that the script is using bash syntax even though is
> has /bin/sh as the shebang.
> The script should either be changed to only use sh syntax or use #!/bin/bash

This works with bash's /bin/sh, it works with pdksh's /bin/sh, it
works with Solaris's /bin/sh. Putting /bin/bash would be horrible,
since that isn't standard across all of these systems. The problem is
that dash is not compatible with more complete shells. I feel the same
way about dash's lack of support for normal shell syntax as I do about
Solaris's shell not handling "$(stuff)" syntax. I don't think we
should hold back just because some systems are inferior.