Hi gang:

I've been working hard to get up-to-date on OSSEC but as you all know,
there's a lot to cover.  I've read the docs on the website and have a copy
of Brad Lhotsky's guide but am running into an issue in setup that I
haven't quite figured out.

I have a test setup with a server named 'ossec' and an agent named
'logserver'.  With the default install, if I run a brute force ssh password
attack against 'logserver' I will get locked out of both machines after
about 16 bad password attempts using medusa.  Great!  That's what I want it
to do.  Except that I don't want to be locked out from my own machine.

I added my local subnet to the conf file on 'ossec'.

root@ossec:/var/ossec/etc# head ossec.conf
<ossec_config>

  <global>

    <email_notification>yes</email_notification>

    <email_to>root@localhost</email_to>

    <smtp_server>127.0.0.1</smtp_server>

    <email_from>ossecm@ossec</email_from>

    <white_list>192.168.2.0/24</white_list>

  </global>

Once I did that I restarted both server and agent.

Now when I run a password crack attempt from my machine I no longer get
locked out, which is what I wanted, but I also don't see the attempt logged
anywhere.  I was under the impression that OSSEC would still log any rules
that are violated by a whitelisted server.

What am I missing?  How can I log bad behavior from whitelisted systems
without locking myself out?

Thanks,

Rick Chatham
amco.me