Hmm, I haven't had problems with that in my environment. I have active responses set up that fire regardless on if a mail was triggered or not. The configuration for emails and active responses are in different blocks and don't necessarily rely on the level of a alert to trigger (I prefer using groups). I don't know if the log_alert_level setting could affectactive responses if set too high, I'd have to have a look at the sourcecode to figure that out (or maybe someone else here knows it off hand).